Pages

Friday, June 26, 2015

14th Philippine Toycon


(HE)

Drowning in a sea of toys, I try hard to control my emotions. No, I wasn’t all that sentimental. Well, maybe just a little. After all, having attended Philippine Toycons for the better part of its 14 year-existence, I have witnessed how much it has grown over the years.

What I was trying to control more specifically however was the ridiculous urge to splurge on collectibles. It was an all too familiar feeling, and is also the reason why I have boxes of toys and comic books at home that are taking up too much space in our humble abode.

Being at the 14th Toycon, though, has made me realize that I have not only collected countless detailed, articulated representations of imaginary heroes over the years. More importantly, it made me realize how these toys have helped solidify bonds with people from all walks of life.

Through collecting, I met and continue to connect with a geologist, an art director who also happens to be the son of legendary Pinoy rock guitarist, a TV and film director, an art critic, and so much more. Stepping inside the convention hall reminded me of those times when we would bond over despising and shaming hoarders and speculators. It reminded me of those times when we’d give each other gifts, just because. And it reminded me of the times when we would exchange stories, over a few beers, of some improbable crazy incident of how hoarders would literally tear a figure off a customer’s hand and rush towards the check-out counter.

Filled with such rush of memory, it was easy for me to ignore my urge to spend. Indeed, some things are worth more than money.








No comments:

Post a Comment