Pages

Thursday, July 9, 2015

BBC One's Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell


(HE)

I recently tore through 7 episodes of BBC’s adaptation of Susanna Clarke’s Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell. Being a big fan of the book, I was curious to see how it translated on the screen.

I was not disappointed. The adaptation was concise as the book was expansive, yet did not lack the lyrical prose of the source material. It was quite a feat actually, when you consider the densely packed tome Clarke put out.

Eddie Marsan brought Mr. Norrell to life. He was able to flesh out the character with all his misanthrope nuances. Bertie Carvel was able to hold his own as Jonathan Strange, although the character portrayed in the series was more conceited than the one in the book.

All in all this series made me believe that magic indeed once existed in England.

Maybe I am biased from my adoration of the book (I have two copies—one in the bedroom, and one in the living room), but the television adaptation of Jonathan strange and Mr. Norrell is one of the best series I have ever wasted my late nights on.

No comments:

Post a Comment